Saturday, November 14, 2009

FOUNDATIONAL VERSES

SOUTH PUGET SOUND CHAPTER WOV DEVOTIONAL 5/18/09

Isaiah 58:6-10, John 15:12-17 and Isaiah 61:1-3.
From these verses we are given a call to action with a promise, a command with a promise, and a mission with a purpose. Because we have first been loved by God and know the Good News, we are able to love each other and we can answer the call to action and fulfill the mission and receive the promises. We were reminded that these verses enable us to truly live a life where “our hearts are broken for the things that break the heart of God”. We listened to Hosanna by Hillsong Australia in closing the devotion time (words in part below).

Isaiah 58:6-7 used in A Citizen’s Guide to Advocacy page 29 (A Call to Action)
“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to lose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?”
John 15:12-16a (A Command)
“My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants because a servant does not know his master’s business. I have called you friends for everything that I learned from my Father, I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. . .This is my command: Love each other.
Isaiah 61:1-3 (A Mission with a Purpose)
“The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor, He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion—to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. . .”
Isaiah 58: 8-10 (The Promises)
“THEN your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.”
John 15: 16b
“THEN the Father will give you whatever you ask in my Name.”

Hosanna by Hillsong Australia

I see the King of glory
Coming down the clouds with fire
The whole earth shakes, the whole earth shakes

I see His love and mercy
Washing over all our sin
The people sing, the people sing

Chorus:
Hosanna, hosanna
Hosanna in the highest
Hosanna, hosanna
Hosanna in the highest

I see a generation
Rising up to take their place
With selfless faith, selfless faith

I see a near revival
Stirring as we pray and seek
We're on our knees, we're on our knees

Chorus

Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like You have loved me

Break my heart for what breaks Yours
Everything I am for Your kingdom's cause
As I walk from earth into eternity

No comments: